Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Vodka for dinner??

Yep, that's right, vodka for dinner!! No, not because it qualifies as a grain but because it is a delicious addition to pasta sauce ;) Here is the link to this delectable dish:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Penne-with-Spicy-Vodka-Tomato-Cream-Sauce/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=55262075&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2011-03-20&prop28=DailyRecipe&prop29=FullRecipePhoto&me=1

I used Turkey Italian Sausage to make it lower fat and also followed a suggestion to use half and half with cornstarch instead of heavy whipping cream. A little more vodka then the recipe called for was added, hee, hee, but don't worry, the alcohol cooks off (so they say!).  Served with Light Caesar Salad and soft french bread. Not to mention a delicious glass of Rioja wine!! I think I can say that it was "lick your plate" good!!

Feeling extra ambitious last night, I also prepared a lentil and sausage soup to have for dinner tonight (working late). We've had a bag of dried lentils in our pantry for over a year and I decided that it was finally time to cook them. So, next time you see those bags of dried beans for like 89 cents, buy them because you never know when you might be inspired to make them. Thank goodness they have such a long shelf-life!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lentil-and-Sausage-Soup/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=54779815&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2011-03-14&prop28=CompleteYourMeal&prop29=FullRecipe2&me=1
I used turkey sausage, added spinach, and used about 7 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of water. I had a taste of it last night and so far I think it is pretty darn tasty. The lentils are nice and soft and there are enough ingredients that it is meaty and hearty. We have some french bread left over which will also go nicely with this meal. I will let you know after tonight what the final determination is (and pictures).
Have a great Wednesday!!

1 comment: