Monday, March 21, 2011

Baked chicken and brown rice

Tonight's menu consisted of a baked whole chicken and brown rice.
For the whole chicken, I kind of went with my own ideas based on ideas from recipes I've seen online. I sprayed the chicken with our Misto (filled with olive oil), then I rubbed a paste of SmartStart butter spread, Goya Adobo seasoning, fresh ground black pepper, sea salt and rosemary. I rubbed this under the skin and on the outside. I placed a little glob inside the cavity and also placed a few onion chunks and cut celery stalks in there too. (Don't forget to take out the goopy giblet sack!!). I then placed it in the oven at 375 and it took about 1 hour and 45 minutes. (I kept checking the temperature with my meat thermometer so the theme of the night would not become salmonella serenade) Towards the end I took it out and basted it with it's drippings. Came out pretty good, juicy with good flavor, boyfriend described it as "succulent".
Now, the brown rice...if you're anything like me you have struggled to make a decent brown rice. It's always underdone or overdone or brown mush. Well, I discovered a recipe online for a baked brown rice and I have to say that it is the best brown rice that I have ever made and it always comes out good and fluffy. I cannot take credit so here is the link for the recipe: 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe/index.html
The only thing that I do differently is instead of adding butter and salt, I Misto the glass dish and then add 2 cups of chicken broth plus 1/2 cup of water. I'm cheap so I buy the chicken bouillon that I make my own broth with. This way adds flavor without added salt or need for butter. Trust me, it turns out great! If not, don't be afraid to share or share some new twists!
I typically cook with a glass of wine and my wine of choice is typically Barefoot Chardonnay. I don't know, it just makes me feel like a Real Housewife or something ;) Hee hee!! Minus the personal chef/nanny/housekeeper!! I watched DVR'd episodes of Chicago Code while cooking (always important to have good visual stimulation on the TV as well), I think it's a pretty good show and not only because I love seeing the city I live in on TV! Not sure yet what will happen tomorrow night but if I'm not too tired to get in touch with my internal Rachael Ray, I will let you all know what my next adventure is!
Good night and good eating friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment