Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Slow Cookin' Turkey Chili (on a hot night?!?!?)

Of course, leave it to me to choose one of the warmest days of the year thus far in Chicago to make chili in the slow cooker, poor timing but still yummy :)  I knew that I would be busy last night and thought that it would be nice to just fix-it and forget-it for a change! I looked up some recipes for chili and slow cooker chili (on allrecipes of course) and kinda made my own mishmosh creation, here it is:
about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes (you can use crushed but I like my chili chunky!)
1 can of dark red kidney beans
1 can of chili beans
1 small can of diced green chilies
1 cup of water
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp of the following: oregano, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper

First I browned the ground turkey with the onion and bell pepper, then I added the turkey with the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker and set it on low for 4 hours. Towards the end I added some cornstarch to thicken it up a little because I felt it was a little soupy, in the future I may add less water or leave it out all together so it's a matter of taste as to how thick you like your chili. Also, if you don't like it too spicy you can leave out the green chilies. Feel free to also play around with spices or other veggies that you might want to add, customize it!
I have to say that this little concoction made the apartment smell SO good!! I served it topped with some shredded cheese and (I know this sounds gross) some plain yogurt. We sometimes use plain yogurt instead of sour cream as a healthier alternative, it is a bit of an acquired taste and we have convinced ourselves that we have acquired it ;)  I also made a small batch of cornbread to dip in the chili...yum!! Needless to say both my fiance and I were sweating as we ate this hot goodness but I think that it was worth it and I know he thought so too :)
There was some leftover chili (after a few batches of nacho snacks by my fiance), so tonight we will cook up some penne pasta, mix it with the leftover chili, add a little cheese and bake in the oven at 350 for a few minutes so it all heats up together...voila...chili mac!!! Or at least my version! We now finally have the A/C turned on so it should be a cooler endeavor!
This might be one that you save for Fall or Winter or sometime when it's not 90 degrees outside ;)  Enjoy everyone and I hope to be back soon with some other culinary creations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment